Friday, January 25, 2008

Creating your own website free.

Today there are millions of websites online. You do a search and find 1000's of site offering anything from clothing to houses. Who creates these sites for them? A great portion of these sites are privately owned, the person who started the site writes it themselves. How?

About four years ago I had an idea that I wanted to start an online business. It took me four years to decide on what it was that I wanted to sell. After I decided I wanted to breed and sell my ball pythons, it was now time to get started on how to create my website. To do this I purchased two books. These books helped me to understand html, and helped me to start creating my website. I know there are website building programs and that I could have someone else build it for me, but the good programs and the people who create websites for you are very costly. One of the best programs out there today is Dreamweaver, but this program costs around $300. To have someone else build your site can coast you upwards of $2000. The basic price is around $20 per page.

The books that I had purchased were Elizabeth Castro, HTML for the World Wide Web, and the idiots guide, creating a web page. These books are very simple to follow and are very easy to read. After purchasing them I began to read and within minutes I had a basic page with some sample text and images on it.

After the first week I had created over 50 pages for my site, and they look great. Once you get the hang of the html code you can create any style website you wish. To write pages I am old school and love to use my notepad. Once I write the page I then save it as whatever I want, an example of how I save is sample.htm. You need to about the .htm in order for your browser to understand it.

If you’re surfing around the net and see something you like on a website you can right click your mouse and view source. You will then search through the code to find what part of the site you like then copy and paste it into your site. Please be sure to note copy and paste anything with copyrights. This is Illegal and you can get sued for it. I have found many things on other site I like and use on my site, but this stuff is just the html code, like frames, tables, colors, backgrounds, and layouts. To me this is just a continuation of my educating myself on creating better and more interesting pages.

Other ways to find things is to do an internet search, I use Google.com. There are thousands of free advice sites on the net. There are even places that help you with code problems for free, just do a search.
Good luck with your new site, and when you’re finished and published stop by and leave me a comment, I would love to see your site.
To see what my site looks like stop by and visit: www.ballpythonplanet.com. I hope you have enjoyed this article and while you’re at my site be sure to leave your mark in my guestbook, as well as sign up for my ball python forum. See you there.

Eric Rovegno
www.ballpythonplanet.com

No comments: