Monday, April 6, 2009

Setting up a reptile tank

Hello Readers,

Eric Rovegno here getting ready to teach you how to set up your reptile tank so that your snake can live a long, healthy and productive life.

Let's get started with the base of this setup, your tank. There are multiple tanks out there. Let me tell you about them. First you have one of the main ones you will find in any pet store you walk into. They are glass with a screen top that can either slide out toward the front or maybe even have a split screen on top that can slide over the other side. These tanks are good, but require some upgrading. They do not keep the humidity and heat up to the level needed by your reptile. Why? The answer is simply the screen. If they could just sell a top that is enclosed with plastic on half the tank top and screen on the other we would be golden. Which brings me to the point of the plastic you will need to purchase at Home Depot. The size of the plastic needs to be the same depth of your tank lid and at least half the length, but two thirds is ideal. Drill several 1/4 holes throughout it. If your creative drill your animals name with the holes.

If this is all to much for you, you can visit LLLReptile. They sell a tank or cage here that is not only light weight but very durable too and looks great. I have three of them and they keep the humidity level and heat just where I need it.

Lets talk about some of the accessories for the tank. The heat is one of the biggest discussed issues on the reptile owners mind. I wanted the best for my snakes. The first thermostat I bought was from spyder robotics. These are great I bought the one that had four probes to control multiple cages. I then bought an ARS rack system which came with a thermostat. This was my best purchase for my snakes. I will continue to buy these racks for my breeding. If you plan on breeding snakes visit this site. If they are just for your pleasure then buy a Vision cage. The thermostat will help you maintain the correct temps throughout the tank. You place the probe on the opposite end of the heat pad to get the ambient air temp to around 85 degrees. The hot spot which will be at the spot you place you pad should be 95 degrees. This spot is also where you would place the water bowl. A dog water bowl is a great size for the snake to soak. Talking about the heat pad or tape Big Apple Herps has the best selection for you to choose from. I use the heat tape that needs to be assembled. The temps can get up to 107-110 degrees without a thermostat. Which I thought was great due to my regulating the temps in the tank. These temps meant that I could control it better.

OK so now lets talk about substrate. This is very important. There are many wood chips that can kill a snake due to the oils in it and the dust. The best I have found is Aspen wood shavings. They are none toxic and can be bought at you local pet store. The ease of maintenance is great because you can see the feces and spot clean right away and they also help retain a small amount of humidity without getting to wet and then having a chance to get moldy.

A nice thick branch in the cage/tank will allow your snake to climb. People say they are not climbers, but I will beg to differ. I watch my snakes climb all the time. You can find some nice pieces of wood at your pet store or if your have a fruit tree in your yard you could use that. Just let it dry out first.

You will need a hide box for your snake. It helps your snake feel safe and more comfortable in it's environment. Reptile Basics has some great ones. They are easy to clean and can be sanitized if needed.

The tank should be completely cleaned at least once a month. I you notice it is getting extra dirty clean it immediately. If you ever see mold dump the aspen and sanitize everything, your snake relies on you to keep him/her alive. You are now prepared to do that.

Here is a list of a few other things you should pick up, a misting bottle, an infrared thermometer to help check you temps a pillow case, and another tub like a plastic storage container. You will use this to feed you snake in.

Good luck with your new snake.
Eric Rovegno
www.ballpythonplanet.com

No comments: